|Real Button Handed Out at the 2008|
Texas Republican State Convention.
- When I think of someone suited to tell the first African American President how far this country has come in terms of race relations and how he's being racially divisive, my first pick is always a White Southern Republican. Which is why I have to thank Georgia Congressman Phil Gingrey for denouncing the President's campaign for creating "African-Americans for Obama": "President Obama is going to get 95% if not more of the African American vote and I can understand that. I think we all can understand that. To use that and to go out and try to create divisiveness or one race against the other, it’s not just that, it’s one gender against the other, male versus female. I’m sick of all that and I think the American people are too." That's right, only someone who wanted to tear this country apart would create such a divisive campaign group as....."Women for Gingrey"?
- In case you ever wondered whether the Family Research Council, the premiere Religious Right organization, was racist, their President Tony Perkins has now come out as a Birther. And here I would have sworn that there was something in the Bible about not "bearing false witness against your neighbor."
- Remember how Republicans have a problem with the Latino community? And that opposing the Dream Act didn't help with that? And so Senator Marco Rubio authored a GOP friendly version in which "Service Guarantees Citizenship"? Ya, well, according to Speaker John Boehner, having children who don't remember living anywhere but here risk their lives in service of this country in order to earn the right to stay here is waaaaaaaaay too lax on "illegals" to get past the House Republican Caucus.
- Anti-immigration border vigilante JT Ready killed his girlfriend, her daughter, her daughter's boyfriend, and the daughters 18 month old baby then himself in what appears to be an attempt to frame "Mexican narco-terrorsits." And just before Fox News begins to paint him as an Marxist, Socialist, Occupy Wall Street, Obama Lover, he was a protege of the Republican State Senator Russell Pearce, the author of the anti-immigrant SB 1070, and considered him "a surrogate father." But it's absurd to think that extremist anti-immigrant dehumanizing statements and legislation could possibly play a role in convincing a mentally ill man to kill a baby in an attempt to make immigrants look bad. No connection at all.
- Speaking of racially motivated murders, George Zimmerman's old MySpace page has been uncovered, in which he makes.....racist statements!
- The Drudge Report has been trumpeting the fact that Obama 'fabricated' white girlfriends in Dreams From My Father as the biggest scandal since he admitted to liking dijon mustard. The only problem of course being that in the Preface to the book Obama admits to using composite characters to protect the privacy of individuals who didn't want their names in the book. So which makes more sense, that the conservative media missed the first page of the book or that they latched on the first opportunity they say to scream "Barack Obama" and "white girlfriends" as loudly as they could?
- North Carolinians are getting ready to vote on an anti-gay marriage ballot initiative. The wife of State Senator Peter Brunstetter, the amendments author, says the reason her husband "wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to reproduce." I think the theory goes that if gay White people can't get married to each other, they'll just get straight married and start producing lots of babies. That or Republicans are crazy, racist, and homophobic. Totally your call.